When I looked at this verse today I saw a few things I didn’t see before:
- God goes with us to fight. This means:
- We have to show up for the fight.
- He goes with us.
This gave me pause to think about how to become ready for a fight. It requires faith. We have to go into battle with a victory mindset – meaning we have an expectation of success and/or a triumph over an enemy. In order to have that expectation we cannot allow doubt or unbelief to go with us into battle. We have to make sure they are not taking up any real estate in our minds. Doubt and unbelief create internal battles that distract us from the battlefield.
- God goes with us against our enemies.
So, who are our enemies? Well, Galatians 5:19-21 has a pretty good list: corrupt sexual relationships, impurity, unbridled relationships, impurity, unbridled lust, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, arguing, jealousy, anger, selfishness, contentiousness, division, envy of others’ good fortune, drunkenness, and drunken revelry. This is a war against our flesh. Satan is a spiritual enemy that uses these things of the flesh in combat.
- God gives us victory. We do not fight like the world does. God has given us tools to fight with:
- We have divine power to demolish strongholds
- We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God
- Make every thought obedient to Christ
Father, thank you for going with me to fight for me against my enemies to give me victory.